|Products||How to Buy||Support||About Us|
ConfigSafe V8 FAQ
Q: Can I upgrade from an older version of ConfigSafe to ConfigSafe V8?
A: No. ConfigSafe V8 has been totally re-architected and Snapshots from older versions of ConfigSafe are not compatible with the new architecture. It is recommended that you completely uninstall your old version of ConfigSafe and delete the ConfigSafe folder prior to installing ConfigSafe V8.
Q: Why do I get a "Task Failed" message when I try to create a new Snapshot Schedule?
A: The "Task Failed" message displays when you enter either a login user name that does not have administrative rights or is an invalid user name. Note: the user name for the scheduler must have administrative rights AND have an established password.
Q: What do the Registry Key and File Permission codes mean?
A: Registry Key Permissions
Full Control = QWCENLDSAO
Read Access = Q__EN__S_O
Full Control = RWAE+XDR+
Read Access = R__EXR___
Q: What is or is not restored on my computer when I restore a Snapshot that includes a System Restore Point?
A: The following are Restored:
The following are Not Restored:
Q: How to recover if system cannot boot into Windows?
A: Impaired system health may sometimes prevent a Windows XP, Vista, or 7 PC from being able to boot into Windows. In these situations, the PC may be booted (with the appropriate bootable disc) into a Windows Pre-Boot Environment to enable the use of ConfigSafe V8's pre-boot environment plug-in for Registry hive restoration.
Windows Pre-Boot Environments:
1. BartPE Version 3.1.10a or higher (see http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/). Bart's Pre-Boot Environment is only officially supported for Windows XP systems. However, under limited testing we have successfully booted both Windows Vista and Windows 7 systems with BartPE and run CSBPEPLUGIN.EXE from the command prompt. (Do not run any other
software under this scenario, just CSBPEPLUGIN.EXE)
2. Microsoft Windows Pre-Boot Environments provided through the Windows Vista and Windows 7 install discs.
Using ConfigSafe V8 PE Plug-in
1. Boot the PC using a BartPE bootable disc or your Windows Vista/Windows 7 install disc
a. For either Windows Vista or Windows 7 install disc, Boot the PC to the Windows install disc Windows Setup [EMS Enabled]
1. At the "Install Windows" screen, enter your language and other preferences and click "Next" to continue
2. Choose "Repair your computer"
3. Under "System Recovery Options",
for Windows 7: Select "Use recovery tools that can help fix problems starting Windows." and click "Next"
for Windows Vista: Just click "Next"
At this moment, it is assumed that you have exhausted the other options available to you such as the option to "Restore your computer using a system image that you created earlier" if you have a system image backup.
4. Click "Command Prompt"
b. For Bart's Pre-boot Environment (Network support is not required) access either Programs/A43 File management Utility or Command Prompt
2. Navigate to your ConfigSafe V8 program folder (default location is C:\Program Files\imagine LAN\ConfigSafe V8\Bin)
3. Run the program CSBPEPLUGIN.EXE
4. Select the Snapshot you wish to restore from the Snapshot list
5. Click the Restore button and wait until you receive a dialog message that indicates that the restore process is complete
6. Exit the pre-boot environment, remove the bootable CD and boot into Windows normally.
The ConfigSafe V8 PE Plug-in restores the following Windows Registry hives from the selected Snapshot:
Once you are able to successfully boot into Windows again, you may run ConfigSafe V8 and perform a more complete Snapshot restoration from the ConfigSafe V8 user interface.